Est. April 13, 2013

Design by Breezy & Co. Powered by Blogger.

Please Don't Make Me the Librarian

This semester I'm take a class called elementary early field experience. I love this class. This is our first real introduction to teaching. Twice a week we go to a local elementary and observe, teach, and help out in a classroom. On Wednesdays my first graders are in the room, and on Fridays they go to library and gym so we help the teacher prep.

Now that the background is set I have a funny story to tell. When we got there last Friday we found out that the librarian wasn't there. Due to budget cuts they aren't getting substitutes for her anymore. The teacher asked me if I would take them to the library and read them a story for half an hour since she really needed the prep time. They weren't going to be checking out books or anything complicated. Sounds easy, right? That's what I thought too, and it was until the last five minutes...

So wish I would have worn my glasses that day 

We read Stellaluna since they were finishing up a week about bats. We were discussing discussing the differences between bats and birds when I heard one boy complain about getting slapped in the face by another boy. I told the kids that it isn't nice to hit and that we need to keep our hands to ourselves. I thought everything was fine, and then the next thing I knew the boy who got hit is bawling his eyes out. The library isn't connected to the school at all so I was completely alone in dealing with this(which I know a normal teacher would be, but I don't even know the students' names yet..). This student couldn't have picked a worse time to cry because I needed to get them lined up and headed to gym. Somehow I got the kid to calm down, and everything turned out kind of fine, but if I was never a librarian again I would be more than happy.

2 comments

  1. Tell him to man up and hit the punk back. Gotta learn to stand up for yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be better as a father than as a school teacher..

      Delete