Est. April 13, 2013

Design by Breezy & Co. Powered by Blogger.

Valentine's Wreath

I looked and looked on Pinterest to find a Valentine's wreath that I loved enough to make. I eventually found two, but one was too expensive to make and I couldn't find the things I would need to make the other. Right there in the middle of Porters I quickly decided I would do another that my mom had pinned. My inspiration was this wreath. I never actually read all of the directions that were on the page, but doing it my own way was less work in my opinion.

I bought my wreath at Micheal's on clearance for $3.99. I also got the ribbon at Micheal's for $2.40 after a 40% off coupon.

The other tutorial wrapped ribbon around the wreath, but I had 4 yards of ribbon and it barely covered a fourth of the wreath so I painted the front of it instead. It sucked paint since it was styrofoam, but it worked. 


I instead used the ribbon to cover the sides and the middle. I tried using super glue to attach the ribbon but you could see exactly where I put it so I went with some left over corsage pins from my wedding. You don't even notice the overlap of the ribbon.

I did the same thing for the inside of the wreath. I didn't have enough ribbon left to go around it twice to cover all of it so I painted the little bit that you could still see.


I grabbed the only wooden hearts that I could find at Porters and picked up some foam sheets at Walmart to cut hearts out of. The wooden hearts were $0.39 each and the foam sheets were a pack of 6 for $2.49. I only used 2 and a half foam sheets. I used my Cricut machine to cut out the hearts. The sizes ranged between 3 inches to 1 and a half inches. I was going to paint them, but once the paper was on you didn't even notice the small side of the heart that you could see. 


I used the wooden beads (I actually got for $0.99) and the spools to make the hearts more three dimensional. I probably should have painted the beads and spools, but I didn't think to when I was doing it. It isn't that noticeable anyway.


I mod podged the paper onto the hearts. Most of the paper cost me $0.99 a sheet from Porters, but I didn't use more than half a sheet of any one kind. They were also two sided so it gave me more options. I used hot glue to attach them to the wreath as well as to the wooden beads. I laid them all out in the order I thought would look nice, and then chose which ones would have the wooden bead, the spool, or nothing underneath at random as I went. 

 I LOVE how it turned out :)

This project was a bit time consuming because there are so many different steps. (Painting the wreath, cutting out the foam and then paper hearts, mod podging, and gluing) It is so worth the time and effort! I love that it is original, and that they can be made so that no two are exactly the same.

No comments