Est. April 13, 2013

Design by Breezy & Co. Powered by Blogger.

the first mistake

So Taylor and I have been looking into buying a house. He has his (more than likely) forever job which means that Idaho Falls will be our forever home. We decided that both of these things meant that it was time to find a home that we could raise our future children in and own until we are old and grey. We want to stop throwing a couple hundred dollars a month down the black hole called renting an apartment, and instead put our money into something that would mean something to us.

So we started to look. Taylor happened to stumble on this company that builds homes in a neighborhood next to us and they had some model homes that you can go look at. We had nothing better to do this weekend so we decided to go look at them. And there was the first mistake.

How could you not fall in love and get your hopes up over a house like this?

It isn't that the homes were over priced because they cost the same as homes with the same bed/bath and what not that, but the problem was that we are no where close to being able to afford them. I knew that when we were looking at them, but I didn't think that they were that far out of our price range.

So I called our bank to get prequalified for a loan, and that's when the nice horrible man on the phone crushed my house buying spirit. Not only would a loan for any of those houses be out of our reach, but any houses within 50,000 dollars of those homes would be out of our reach. That was SO hard to hear. I'm sure the man could hear the sadness in my voice as soon as he said it.

If you're thinking dang this girl is young and should have had a clue before she started looking, then you would be correct. Maybe we are crazy to even be looking into buying a house when I still have two years of school left, we're not making a ton of money, and we're hardly even adults. We don't even have a clue how to buy a house for that matter.

But I'll be darned if I don't still try and make this work. I've googled the heck out of buying a house, and I am trying to learn what I can. I'm looking at houses that are actually in our price range, and I am adjusting my expectations. We might not be able to afford our dream home right now so maybe the house we buy will only be our "home until we can afford a better one" rather than our "forever home." It took a few tears and a talk with Taylor to accept this, but we will own a house.. hopefully sooner rather than later.

2 comments

  1. oh man I totally know how you feeeeeeeeel! when my husband and I started looking at houses I was like is 500,000 a lot for a house?? haha I was seriously clueless. And we got our hopes up for this way cute house that had arched door ways!! (omg) and we were out bid and it crushed me!! but it will make the wait for an even better house that much sweeter when we get one :) hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha glad to know that I'm not the only one that has gone through this! You're right that it will make a house that much sweeter.

      Delete