Est. April 13, 2013

Design by Breezy & Co. Powered by Blogger.

Burlap Tree Skirt

I looked for a tree skirt at many different stores without finding anything I liked that didn't cost a small fortune. I was getting discouraged so I decided that I would make one instead. I remembered seeing a burlap tree skirt on Pinterest a while ago so I decided to try making my own version of it.

I chose to buy a round table cloth as my base because I didn't want to sew fabric together. I used a pot lid to measure the circle for the tree, and then cut a line down it so that I slip it around the tree. I found the brown and green burlap at Walmart and the red burlap at Hancock Fabrics. I got two yards of each color and had different amounts of each left over. I cut the burlap into 3 inch strips, and overlapped them just slightly. I chose to use hot glue rather than sewing it so that it would be a little easier. I didn't measure how far apart the ruffles were. Instead, I just did what I thought would look right.


I folded it over at the top, put a dab of hot glue, and then held it until it was cool enough that it wouldn't try to fold back over. I eventually resorted to a bag of ice to help the glue cool faster so that I wouldn't have to hold it as long. 


As you can see from the picture on the left there was many white spots that appeared from the ruffling. To fix this I would put some hot glue at the end or farther up by the fold to keep them down. It still kept the ruffle enough to look nice, but the white spots were gone.





I love the way it turned out. It looks great with our tree. I will warn anyone that tries this that it takes a long time to do. I probably spent ten hours off an on working on this. You will also get burlap all over your work area and probably on your clothes as well. Even though it was hard work it was definitely worth it!

4 comments

  1. I love how it looks! And now you can use it forever and ever - so the ten hours was a worthwhile investment :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks! let's hope that it lasts forever and ever and everrrr :)

      Delete
  2. I made one of these 2 years ago with burlap and linen. I totally love it! Yours is awesome. I also tied strips of burlap and linen to a couple strings of lights covering the whole cord in between the lights that I then wrap around my tree like lighted garland. Just another idea for you miss crafty girl:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea. I might just have to try it :)

      Delete