Est. April 13, 2013

Design by Breezy & Co. Powered by Blogger.

A different life..

I was so excited for Christmas at the beginning of the season, but I'd be lying if I said that I was still as excited. I was so caught up in the fun of decorating our home and buying presents for others that the fact that I'm not going home for Christmas slipped my mind more than it was on it. I have never been away from my family on Christmas, and being that I live on the other side of the country from them I know that it will happen a lot more. I thought that I would handle it just fine, but it's harder than I ever imagined. Want to know the fastest way to make me cry these days? Just bring up Christmas, and the fact that I'm not going home. It will do the trick. I promise.

I wasn't even born yet (or even thought of) when this picture was taken, but it sums up a Thomas Christmas so well. Train and town included of course and a tree completely filled with ornaments. 

I never knew how hard living away from my family would be. Taylor and I have planted our roots in Idaho Falls, and we don't have any intentions of moving for just about forever. Usually you move to where a job is right? Well Taylor has his dream job here, and he will have plenty of opportunities to make more money in this job. Allllllll of Taylor's family is out here, and I can't imagine being the person that rips him away from them. I truthfully did not plan on staying out here when I came out here for school, but inevitably it is that way.

Everyone else in Taylor's family that is about my age has their parents close by or only a couple hours away. It makes it hard because they don't understand. I am so very grateful for them, but my family is extremely different from Taylor's. I truly feel like you really can't understand this unless you have lived this way or are currently living this way.

My family is just so good great.

Nobody mentioned this part to me when I got married. No one told me how hard it would be to be one of the only members of my immediate family to live far away from home. I have a niece that I have seen only when she was born and when she was five and six months old. And when we eventually have kids they are rarely going to get to see their Grandma and Grandpa Thomas. That is so hard to know and think about.

I'm sure that someday it will get easier, but for now that is hard to see. Until then I will put on my brave face, and be grateful for who I have to spend my time with.This post isn't at all what I originally planned it to be, but sometimes you have to be completely honest and open.

4 comments

  1. Oh, I'm sorry Rach! I can't imagine how hard that is. Terri is a good example of being able to stay close to your family even when you live so far away (although Aunt Sue is at least only a state away, so that's helped her lots, I bet). Thank goodness for skype right?? :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri is just about the perfect example. So grateful for her and to have some family live close. You're so right. Thanks Jana! :)

      Delete
  2. I hear you! We are also in Idaho while my family is in California. I am the only one who plans to live far from home for an indefinite amount of time. This is the second Christmas in a row I will be away from home on Christmas. It is easier this time than it was last year. It is so hard. I'm so sorry you are feeling this way, it will get easier...but I know what you mean. We love our families so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm happy to know that it does get easier. We just need to convince our families to move to us ;)

      Delete