Est. April 13, 2013

Design by Breezy & Co. Powered by Blogger.

My Favorite Home Renovation Project

So we kind of spontaneously decided to rip up the carpet in our house  and have hardwood floors instead. Best decision we have made when it comes to improving this house!

The carpet was older, grungy, a seam was coming undone in two different places, and it just smelled not so nice. There was so much odor stuck in the carpet that our house just didn't smell like us when you walked in the door.

We bought a used shampooer off of a Facebook sale page and that was a mistake. Because of the previous owner of the shampooer it ended up making our carpets smell worse, not better. And that was the last straw.

We cut one of the seams to check the wood underneath, and it looked pretty good so bye bye carpet! We spent the next two hours pulling the hundreds of staple up that held in the padding. Thank goodness that siblings just happened to be over for the weekend. Sheldon, Rebekah, and cousin Craig were huge helps.

We swept and swept and scrubbed on our hands and knees and were left with a mostly gorgeous hard wood floor.

Before

Before&After :) :) :)

After :) :) :)

I am in love with the finished product.

Now I know what some of you are thinking, Why would you get rid of carpet when you have a young child? Do you expect him to only play on the area rug? 
My answer is no we don't expect him to stay on the rug only. He can go wherever he wants in the house. I grew up in a house that had hardwood floors, and I survived. I know, I know, it's a miracle that I survived hardwood floors as a baby. The floors are way cleaner then they were when it was carpeted so really we are doing him a favor. 
Now to finally get a kitchen table..

Now excuse me while I go admire our floors :)

 photo RachelSIG_zpse5d0a175.png

1 comment

  1. How fun that the hardwood was already down! Makes for a much easier renovation, I'm sure haha :) Looks great, and I think Hudson will do just fine on wood floors :) Love the rug!

    ReplyDelete