Est. April 13, 2013

Design by Breezy & Co. Powered by Blogger.

Hudson's Birth Story

Hudson's birth story really starts at my 38 week regular check up. I asked my midwife about being induced if I went over my due date at all. She asked if I was thinking the day after Christmas and I said yes or sooner. Much to my surprise she told me that she would call the hospital and see if they had any openings for Friday. I could not believe that this was really going to happen. I immediately texted my mom and tried getting a hold of Taylor to let them know what the plan was. Taylor and I began to prepare our house and pick up all of the last minute baby things that we still needed. Sleeping the next couple of nights were pretty much impossible since I was so excited about everything that was about to happen.

So my induction was scheduled for 6 am on the 19th. I was told to call before we went in to make sure that they had room for us. I called at 5:20 and they said that they didn't have any beds available. I was crushed. I really thought that we were going to be able to go in right away. The head nurse told me to wait for a phone call and they would let me know when they had a spot for me. At 8 they called and told me what I didn't want to hear. "We are super busy today and we just had another walk in come in. I talked to Natalie (my midwife) and we are going to have you come in at 6 tonight and start you on a pill and see where it goes from there." It wasn't the worst news, but we were just so ready and excited.

We killed time all day not doing much of anything mixed with a little shopping to hopefully help get this started early. We ate dinner at McDonalds and then headed to the hospital. By 6:10 we were all checked in at admissions and ready to head up to our room. Both nurses that I first spoke with talked about how busy of a day it had been and my nurse was supposed to get there about an hour and a half after we got there. Because my nurse was so late another one checked me in, gave me my IV, took my temperature, asked me all the questions, and voiced her distaste at me being induced "just so he doesn't have to be born on Christmas." She also asked how my family felt about me being induced. They support me, of course, ya nosy lady. I was more than ready for my nurse to get here by the time she was finished with her snappy little attitude. And I was definitely overwhelmed with everything that was happening/about to happen.

She checked me (50% and 1.5 cm at 8 pm), inserted the pill, and left us to watch TV and relax while it did its thing. I started to feel crampy after a little while and it continually got worse and more uncomfortable. I realized later that these 'cramps' were actually contractions starting. I complained to Taylor about feeling crampy and we both tried to act like it was no big deal.

These cramps were definitely the beginning of a very long night. Laying back in the bed made them hurt worse, and when I would sit up the monitors on my stomach would move and then a nurse would come in to fix them. I also had the blood pressure cuff on which went off every thirty minutes. I really don't think that I slept at all that night.Taylor would come look at the monitor every now and again and comment about how big one of my contractions was. I don't suggest anyone saying that to their wife while she is in labor. I definitely knew that it was a good contraction without him telling me.

I was so excited to see my midwife the next morning to know her opinion on things and to hopefully get the okay to get an epidural, but she had two c sections to do before seeing me. She checked in after the first(around 8) and then came back after the second and checked me (around 10). Much to my relief she said that I was at a 4 and I could get an epidural. I could have kissed her and the man that gave me the epidural. Getting an epidural was the best decision that I think I have ever made.

Obviously happy on epidural.

The epidural gave me so much relief. After getting it I slept off and on for the rest of the afternoon. I was checked 3 hours after getting the epidural and found out that I was still at a four, meaning I had made no progress. They started me on pitocin and an hour and a half later I was at a 7. Thank goodness I couldn't feel anything. After this point I know that I slept a lot. Like, it was all I could do to stay awake. Every time the nurse came in after being at a 7 she would ask me if I felt any pressure. I never felt anything so I said no. At 5 the nurse came in and took my temperature. I had developed a fever of 100.7. She checked me to find out that I was at a ten. It was really baby time!

(Apparently my fever was a sign of my body being ready to give birth and the nurse kept asking me if I felt pressure because that would have meant that he was ready to come. So, that's a fun fact from the day.)


She called my midwife who checked me and said that the baby's head was right there and that it wouldn't take much time at all to get him here. People started rushing around the room and a nurse for the baby came in to get things ready for his arrival. Taylor was not a fan of everything that was happening so he sat on the couch a little ways away. I had an awesome nurse that encouraged me through everything so it wasn't a big deal that he wasn't right by my side. I really couldn't feel any pain at all the whole time I pushed thanks to my epidural. 22 hours after I had been given the pill and 30 minutes of pushing later the most precious baby boy was placed on me. I simply could not believe that he was mine. His cord was wrapped around his neck three times, but it didn't seem to be a problem. They asked us if we wanted to cut the cord and we both said no. Many people think we're crazy for not doing it, but I don't feel like we missed out on anything because we still got our boy in the end.



It was interesting to still be laying there as they took care of Hudson and took care of me. I could watch Hudson get cleaned up, but he was across the room from me. It amazed me how attached to this little boy I already was. I was grateful that Taylor was able to stay by Hudson's side since I wasn't able to move yet.

In between pushes I mentioned how hungry I was and how I really wanted ice cream. After everything was cleaned up and things calmed down my sweet nurse brought me some ice cream from the snack fridge.

He had a slight fever and was breathing fast when he was first born. The doctors were worried and were tempted to put him in the NICU, but with some skin to skin his fever came down and they said he transitioned really well.


Everything has been a whirlwind since Hudson was born with the days going by so fast. I can't believe that he is already over two weeks old and that Taylor returned to work this morning. Figuring out how to take care of a baby and be parents has been an interesting challenge. Especially when everyone knows what is best for your child.. but I have loved every minute of it. He is such a good baby. He is sweet and already has us wrapped around his little finger. He fits into our family so perfectly and we are extremely grateful to be his parents.


 photo RachelSIG_zpse5d0a175.png

No comments