Est. April 13, 2013

Design by Breezy & Co. Powered by Blogger.

Pregnancy Number 4: 38ish Weeks


How far along? 38 weeks + a few days
Total weight gain: I'm less than 5 pounds above my pre pregnancy weight thanks to gestational diabetes. I think it's currently at +2, but it has fluctuated a little. I'm not going to lie, I'm excited to see what happens postpartum weight wise.
Sleep: Sleeping really got harder around week 35. I usually wake up at least once if not 2-3 times to pee and/or roll over. I never did end up using the body pillow like I did in previous pregnancies.
Movement: So much movement. This baby is forever and always shoving limbs into my right side. I can usually feel hiccups at least once a day, but usually 2-3 times a day. 
Food cravings: Never crazy strong cravings like movies portray, but plenty of wants that I can't have. Abracadabra's. Still really wanting raspberry rolls.
Gender:  I think we're officially guessing girl. Would we not find out again? Yes! I will say if we didn't already have each gender I don't think we could handle not knowing, but it's been something fun to do for our last baby.
Symptoms: Hip pain. I feel like it hasn't been quite as bad as Avery's pregnancy though which is a miracle! Some heart burn, but way less once my diet changed. Sciatic pain. The sciatic pain has turned into shooting pains mostly on my right side. Plenty of Braxton Hicks contractions. Lower back pain. Feeling like I can never fully breathe.
Belly button in or out? In.
Wedding rings on or off? On.
Looking forward to: soaking up the newborn snuggles. The kids meeting the baby. Becoming a full and complete family. Figuring out our new normal.

Gestational Diabetes
I started weekly non stress tests and ultrasounds at 36 weeks, but I also had ultrasounds at 29 weeks, 34 weeks, 36 weeks, 37 weeks, and I will have one at my 38 week appointment this week. I loved non stress test and watching the heart rate increase with every movement. At the 34 week ultrasound, the baby was measuring on the smaller side which was a good thing. The ultrasounds that were only fluid level check ultrasounds were far less exciting. I had phone calls every week with the dietician to go over my numbers from the week before. Thankfully, the phone calls were never a big deal at all because I was very lucky to remain diet controlled the whole time.
Some of my favorite foods for gestational diabetes were cheese sticks/cheese in general, pepperoni, beef sticks, breakfast sausage links, protein bars and shakes, and broccoli.



non stress tests were definitely my favorite part of gestational diabetes


A few weeks ago some sweet friends put on a surprise drive by baby shower/diaper sprinkle. It was so thoughtful and fun to get to celebrate this new baby. They set up some tables in my front yard with some snacks and music and the best copycat twix cookies as thank you gifts.


Just some personal pregnancy fun facts:
I've never swelled up during pregnancy- even with 2.5 summer pregnancies.
I've never tested positive for group B strep. 
I've never gotten linea nigra-the dark line down the stomach.
I've been induced every time (unless that changes this time before I get induced), so I don't know what it feels like to "go into labor" on my own.


The end of the end
I can't believe we're here. Where did these last 38 weeks go? I can't believe I'll never be pregnant again.. It's no secret that I don't love being pregnant, so I think I'm surprised by the feelings of sadness I feel knowing this is the last time. I expected to be excited, but it's sad to think we will never go through the entire journey again. We (hopefully haha) won't ever question if there is a second line on a pregnancy test or go to the first appointment and hold our breath while waiting to see the baby come up on the ultrasound screen. I will never feel baby movements inside of me once this baby is born or go to doctor's appointments every so many weeks. We know this is our last baby, and I'm grateful to have that confirmation. It's crazy to think about, but I'm ready to focus 100% on raising my family and not about when we will have more kids.

No comments