Est. April 13, 2013

Design by Breezy & Co. Powered by Blogger.

The story of our first doctor's appointment

This is one of those posts that is more for me because I want to remember it down the road then it is for anyone else. Our first doctor's appointment was not filled with the joy that I expected it to be. It was actually the exact opposite of how I thought it would go.

I went in on a Thursday (4/17) in the afternoon. Once I got there I found out that they were going to do an ultrasound. I called Taylor and he immediately left work. So we went back into the room did blood pressure and weight and all that, and then they figured out what they wanted to do next. Because my periods were irregular they couldn't use my last period date to give me a due date.

Because of this they decided to do an ultrasound. The ultrasound tech was nice and did it fast. She looked at my uterus, and as she finished up she nonchalantly said, "We don't see any sign of a baby, but it could be too early." I knew I wasn't as far along as they thought I was with my last period, but I didn't expected to hear that. I said ok and we went back to talk with the doctor.

He seemed nice enough, but one one of his first questions was, "Did you take a pregnancy test?" I wasn't so sure that I liked him. Like no I didn't take any pregnancy tests I just has some weird intuition that I was pregnant so I thought I would come in and spend a fortune on a doctor's visit. I told him I took like seven and he simply said ok.

Leaving it at this would have been hard enough to deal with, but then he told us that the ultrasound showed that I have an arcuate uterus. All that I heard him say after that was greater chance of miscarriage, breech babies, and preterm labor. So now I'm not pregnant and I've got a screwed up uterus that will be a problem forever. Just great. At this point I'm holding back tears (because hello I really was pregnant so I was extremely emotional) and ready to go home, but they draw my blood and ask me to come back in two days to have it drawn again so that they can check my HCG levels. So I sit there still holding back tears while I wait to get called in to the room for my blood and then as she takes my blood.

I then have to sit there to make another appointment for two days later instead of four weeks later like the receptionist expected me to say. Just rubbing salt on the wide open wound. The second I stepped outside I lost it, and boy was I grateful to have Taylor at that appointment at that moment.

By the time they called me back on Saturday with my results I was in the temple so I had to wait until Monday. Talk about torture. As we know things ended with a good phone call Monday morning, but it was a rocky road getting to that phone call.

 photo RachelSIG_zpse5d0a175.png

No comments