Est. April 13, 2013

Design by Breezy & Co. Powered by Blogger.

DIY Growth Chart


Taylor and I bought our current house knowing that it isn't going to be our forever home and that we will outgrow it. Because of this I didn't want to record our children's growth on a door frame that would one day be painted over. I looked around for growth charts, but quickly realized that I would be much better off making my own.

Materials:

6 ft. piece of wood-Picked mine up at Lowe's for less than 7 dollars
Paint: I used left over gray paint from our spare bedroom
Craft paint: I used some that I already had
Paint brushes: Already had
Card stock: I bought mine on sale for 25 cents.

Total cost of project: $7.25


Begin by sanding your wood if needed. Then paint it the base color. Once the base color is dry you can give it a rustic look if you choose. I dipped my brush in paint, took almost all of the paint off on a piece of paper, and then brushed it on the wood.


Once your board is painted you are ready to add your measured marks. Figure out how high you want it off the ground (I did mine 6 inches) and then mark out every quarter inch. I used a sharpie marker and a tape measure to make sure that my marks were straight and bold.

Making it yourself allows you to customize the size of the numbers

Once you have it marked you are ready to add the numbers. I chose to use my Cricut machine to cut the letters out of card stock and then modge podged them on. You could stencil or buy some type of number if you preferred to.

Now just add a hanger to the back and you are done and ready to hang it up!

I have Hudson's birth length already marked on mine, and I can't wait to mark it again once he can stand on his own.

Don't waste your money buying one already made because they are so easy, cheap, and don't take much time to make :)

 photo RachelSIG_zpse5d0a175.png

No comments